The Brock Trail Committee held its most recent meeting on Thursday, March 22. The following is provided as a brief summary of the key topics discussed and decisions made:
- The status of our committee as an adhoc citizens committee as opposed to a formal Standing Committee of City Council is to be confirmed (hopefully) at the Tuesday, March 27 Council meeting.
- The completion of the fill, grading and paving of the rebuilt section Perth St. to Stewart Blvd. is expected by late May.
- The addition of Solar lights to the Tom Daily Bridge section is now complete. The majority of funding was provided by the Brockville & Area Community Foundation through the Tom Daily Fund.
- We will undertake a preliminary study of the entire Trail network to develop recommendations re: additional lighting and possible security features. An initial report is expected in April.
- L.A. Knapp was the successful bid to complete the work required on the Laurier Blvd. to Centennial Rd. section, with work to begin ASAP in April and the new bridge to be installed mid-May.
- A final Engineering Report by consultants WSP is expected early April regarding the use of VIA Rail property to extend the Trail northwards from the north end of the railway tunnel. This section is now referred to as the North Gorge Extension.
- Planning will begin for the reconstruction of the existing section of the Trail from Stewart Blvd. north to Central Ave. (near Westminster School), and from Perth St. to Brock St. (the tunnel under the CN main line). Timing of the projects in 2018 still to be determined.
- This website has been in hiatus and is once again operational, with Hugh Campbell serving as site manager. Upgrades and updates are in progress.
- An updated Financial Report was discussed: Project spending to date of $1.5 million fully paid or reserved. $200,000 is available for the North Gorge project with unallocated funds of $120,000 available for other planned 2018 projects. Additional funding expected upon completion of the Active Transportation Study. Overall spending of $2.30 for each $1.00 from the City's 10 Year Capital Plan beginning in 2015.
Next committee meeting, April 26, 2:30 at Conal Cosgrove's office, Gord Watts Municipal Centre, North Augusta Blvd.
John Taylor, Chair